Friday, July 18, 2008

It's Raining Bears

Holidaze – Day 3

It began sometime during the night; the sound of rain on the roof of the trailer and the rumblings of thunder, waking us up from the sweetness of sleep. We were worried about our girl dog – she is scared of loud noises and thunder I would believe, falls into that category. We found her crouched at the back of the trailer trying to get her nose as far into a corner as she could possibly go. We decided to give her a Gravol so she would relax. We got that pill down her throat without much disagreement – I sure am glad I have dogs. They are so much easier to give pills to than a cat. Anyway after we got the pill into her we made a nest/cave for her under the setae and then we all went back to bed. Spoiled you say?? Definitely!

So we slept the four of us till mid morning – what else is there to do when it is thundering and raining? We realized in listening to the rain that we hadn’t got the plastic up yet so after a cup of coffee and putting the kids out to pee we got to work rigging up the plastic walls. We got it done and it kept the rains out nicely. We finally ate some breakfast/lunch and then decided to go into town - what else is there to do when it is raining? We were trundling around the shops in Clear Lake when Alan and I recognized a woman I used to know through Beta Sigma Phi in Regina. We were looking at the trinkets and I kept hearing this woman’s voice and I thought I recognized it. It wasn’t until she rounded the corner that I knew who that voice belonged to: Deanna Owens. What a small world. We had a nice chat and then saying our goodbyes continued on our shopping trip.

Some time later we get back to the site and as we are getting our things out of the car the security people arrive and tell us once again that a bear has been sighted very near our site – great, just great – I hate bears.
Because there have been so many bears in and around the campground we have had to keep all of our food stuff in our truck. I know this is just good camping practice – it keeps the bears safer but man is it a pain in the “you know where”. We can’t even leave our teapot out! And with the rain it was just a lot of hassle. Plus my anxiety was increased because every movement I saw in the bush I thought was a bear. My hubby deserves a medal for putting up with me. He is not afraid of bears. Lucky for him. He has told me numerous times of a platoon survival camp he was involved in. He had to sleep in the jeep with his bare feet hanging out. He was awakened by a bear licking the salt off his feet. So….he has been up close and personal with a bear but not me. No thank you!

No comments: